Everyone wants to have a safe and happy Halloween for themselves, their guests and especially their children. The excitement of children and adults at this time of year can sometimes make them not as careful as they would normally be.
Using safety tips and some common sense can help you make the most of your Halloween season, keeping it as enjoyable for your kids as it is for you!
Here are some useful tips of safety suggested by Kanner & Pintaluga Reviews for a fun night on Halloween:
- Carry a fully charged cellphone.
- Review with children how to call 9-1-1 (or their local emergency number) if they ever have an emergency or become lost. Law enforcement authorities should be notified immediately of any suspicious or unlawful activity.
- When shopping for costumes, wigs and accessories look for and purchase those with a label clearly indicating they are flame resistant.
- If a sword, cane, or stick is a part of your child’s costume, make sure it is not sharp or long. These accessories if he stumbles or trips may easily hurt a child.
- Plan costumes that are bright and reflective. Make sure that shoes fit well and that costumes are short enough to prevent tripping, entanglement or contact with flame.
- Consider adding reflective tape or striping to costumes and trick-or-treat bags for greater visibility.
- To keep homes safe for visiting trick-or-treaters, parents should remove from the porch and front yard anything a child could trip over such as garden hoses, toys, bikes and lawn decorations.
- Parents should check outdoor lights and replace burned-out bulbs.
- Stay in a group and communicate where they will be going.
- Only cross the street as a group in established crosswalks (as recognized by local custom). Never cross between parked cars or out driveways.