Distracted driving is known as the leading cause of auto and pedestrian accidents. Many people think since they are on a sidewalk or a marked walkway they are safe from avoiding accidents. Unfortunately pedestrians are sometimes involved in these unforeseen accidents.
Pedestrian Safety Tips
You should make it your responsibility to be aware of your surroundings and keep yourself safe, as well as those around you. 26% of citizens living in the US have been involved in a walking accident and 40% have witnessed someone be involved in an accident. Since 2009 and the rise of the smartphone pedestrian fatalities have increased by 15% .
Here are a few tips suggested by Kanner & Pintaluga Reviews to prevent pedestrian accidents:
- Always check both ways before crossing the street.
- Be cautious of blind spots for all cars.
- You may see them but they might not see you.
- Making eye contact with vehicles coming your way to ensure they see you.
- Reduce the use of electronics while walking.
- Headphones can work against you — hearing your surroundings can be crucial to avoiding a crash.
- If walking at night or in unclear weather, wear reflective clothing.
- Travelling in groups can make the driver more likely to see you.
Walking as method of commute or as a daily exercise is great for your health. Remember just like driving, you should never rely on those around you to keep you safe.
If you or someone you know has been injured as the result of an accident, don’t forget to call the Offices of Kanner & Pintaluga, P.A.